Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM
Please click to register for CYO Basketball tryouts:
Read more

 

History

The Natick Catholic Community of St. Linus and St Patrick was formed on June 3, 2014 as one of the Archdiocese of Boston Catholic Collaboratives.  The collaborative is part of the Archdiocese of Boston Disciples in Mission Pastoral Plan.  The Pastoral Plan groups the parishes of the Archdiocese into approximately 135 collaboratives.  Each parish maintains its own identity in the collaborative.  Each parish retains its buildings, its canonical rights, its financial assets and obligations. The collaborative will have one Pastor who will work with one Pastoral Team and one Parish Pastoral Council, although since each Parish maintains its financial independence, each Parish will have its own Parish Finance Council.  Together we will develop a pastoral plan for the collaborative, focused on serving the needs of the parishes in the collaborative and advancing the mission of the New Evangelization.  The formation of the parish collaborative will be phased in, with appropriate flexibility, over a period of five years.  Pastors, pastoral teams, and councils of each parish collaborative will participate in extensive theological and practical training for the New Evangelization. 

St. Patrick History:  The Roman Catholic Parish of St. Patrick, founded in 1856, is a suburban, archdiocesan parish located in the Downtown section of Natick, MA. The parish is a multi-ethnic, socially, culturally, and educationally diverse faith community.

Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire was President of the United States. The national debate over slavery and state's rights was reaching a fever pitch. Here in Natick, the Reverend Father John Walsh obtained approval from the diocese to establish the permanent Parish of St. Patrick. The year was 1856. 

Fr. Walsh subsequently purchased a church building from the Universalist Society. This building was located on the site of what is presently the Natick Town Hall. It was to serve as the house of worship for the Natick Catholic community until the construction of the present St. Patrick Church in the period 1892-1902. 

The leadership of this parish over the 150+ years of its history has fallen to priests whose understanding of and caring for the needs of its people stand as monuments to their sense of Christian responsibility. One in particular, the Right Reverend Monsignor Michael F. Delaney served as pastor from 1890 until 1946, a period of fifty-six years. He set records in many different ways. For example; he was the pastor until he reached the age of ninety-six. At his funeral, he was eulogized as the "Champion of Champions."

St. Linus History:  St. Linus was established in September 1950 by the Most Reverend Richard J. Cushing, Archbishop of Boston, to meet the needs of this growing West Natick community. The event was marked by the celebration of a Mass in the yet unfinished rectory on the Feast of St. Linus by Reverend Thomas E. Sweeney, the newly appointed pastor.

Our first public Mass, attended by 400 members of the new parish, was celebrated at Sherwood Golf Club. On that same day, October 1, 1950, two baptisms were recorded.

Because of the growth in the number or parishioners, Masses were moved to the Military Depot on Speen Street in November 1950, while a new combination chapel and auditorium was being constructed on Hartford Street. This construction was completed in May 1951. The parish began celebrations in our own new home with the deduction of the chapel by Archbishop Cushing in October 1951.

 



 


Catholics Come Home Catholic TV